Python: N-Dimensional List to a 1-Dimension
Nowadays lists are the most used data types in python, In most of the interviews, people ask questions about lists and how to convert n-dimensional lists to a single dimension. In this blog, we will see the solution to solve this problem using recursion and will try to get the solution in O(n) complexity.
Recursion is a function calling itself again and again until or unless a specific condition is reached, in this blog we are going to use recursion only to get the single-dimension list.
- First, we will create a function say converter that will receive an n-dimensional list and an empty list as an input. Example- def converter(input_list, output_list).
- Now we will iterate through each element of the input element and will test for the type of the element.
- If the type of the element is a list we will call the function again passing that element as an n-dimensional list.
- Else we append that element in the empty list that was passed as an input during the calling of the function.
- Finally, we will return that empty list
def converter(input_list, output_list): for elements in input_list: if type(elements) == list: converter(elements,output_list) else: output_list.append(elements) return output_list
- Utkarsh Shukla Website – https://utkarshshukla.herokuapp.com/