Want To Know How A Search Engine Functions?
What is a Search Engine?
- Search Engine is basically software that helps in searching through the web using various algorithms.
- Whatever is typed and searched is called a search query.
- The whole WWW(World Wide Web) is searched for a query.
- Almost all the search engines work in a similar way, with a slight difference in their algorithms for fetching the results.
- These algorithms are private to the organisations.
- The Result of a search engine is a fixture of web pages, images, articles, gifs, graphics, and all the different types of files available.
- One of the first search engines was Archie, developed in 1990 by Alan Emtage.
- Archie use to search on the file system based on the file’s name.
- There was no indexing and no search optimisation algorithm used in Archie.
How results are shown and pages are found?
- Every Search Engines have their own software and algorithm to perform the searches, most of them work on the same path.
- The only difference between the different search engines is their algorithm.
- Three steps are performed for executing a single search query, these steps are common to every search engine.
- In the first step, search engines examine the content of the files that they know and have permission to see.
- This step is called Crawling.
- In the second step, every page is categorised or divided into different categories.
- This step is known as Indexing.
- In the third step, the usability of the content is found, and the content is ranked according to that.
- This step is known as Ranking.
How search engine is working?
- Search Engine crawls the internet or we can say WWW(World wide web).
- Crawling is done to discover content like web pages, images, graphics, videos, gifs, and different types of files.
- There is a program or an algorithm that is used by the search engines to go through the content.
- This program or algorithm is known as spiders or robots(also known as bots).
- These programs or bots search every page and move from one page to another, continuously through the links.
- Content is revisited very frequently so as to update the indexing and the ranking according to the changes made in the content.
- The index is the list of the content that is visited by the bots.
- When we try to search for something, the search engine searches its indexes looking for a match.
- There is a great possibility that the search term is present in millions of different content present in the indexing.
- Now the Ranking comes into play.
- The ranking is done using different algorithms that are secret to the search engine organisations only.
How content is ranked by the Search Engine?
- Although ranking algorithms are top-secret, there are a few things that are helpful to improve the ranking of content.
- Length of a page, that is content length.
- External links to the other contents.
- Internal links to other content of your website.
- There are the key factors that are generally used in a ranking algorithm.
How does the Search Engine Algorithm work?
- The Search Engine Algorithm scans the whole page.
- In the first step, the title of the page is scanned and indexed.
- The title should be accurate to the searches.
- In the second step, the content of the page is scanned.
- Images present in the pages are scanned as the image name and the description not by how the image looks.
- Image name should describe what the images show, so as to improve the indexing and ranking of the page.
- An alternative text can be added to the images to give a proper description.
- In this way, the search engine algorithm works.
In this blog, we have covered what a search engine is, how it works and how we can have our content at the top of the search result.
- Link to my website- Utkarsh Shukla Website