What is Artificial Intelligence ?
Predicting the future isn’t magic.. It is artificial intelligence – Dave Waters
Think about the following cases!
- Google, our one-stop-search-shop, gives us auto suggestions on what we are searching for.
- ‘Hey Siri, pause!’
- Netflix recognizes our watching patterns and gives us recommendations.
- Facebook/ Instagram gives us appropriate stories and posts that we might be interested in based on our viewing pattern
And many many more situations like these, make us aware that we are already in the middle of using artificial intelligence.
Thanks to sci-fi movies and books, people usually have a misconception about AI being robotics. AI is so much more than that. In the simplest terms, AI refers to systems or machines that mimic human intelligence to perform tasks and can iteratively improve themselves based on the information they collect.
AI is not a new technology. The term “Artificial Intelligence” was coined by John McCarthy in 1956, during The Dartmouth Conference. As the figure below depicts, AI has evolved from Science Fiction in 1940s , to the Dartmouth Conference in 1950s, to the Autonomous cars in 1980s, to the chatbots and self-driving cars now, it has taken over six decades of research and work to establish what we have today.
AI is often synonymously used with Machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL), but in reality, they have differences. ML is focused on building systems that learn or improve their performance based on the data they consume. It’s important to note that although all machine learning is AI, not all AI is machine learning.
Some everyday examples of AI in our lives :
- Unlocking your iPhone with your face as a password. Even with accessories such as glasses, scarfs, makeup, and facial hair, it still works
- Gmail uses AI to give us a smarter inbox which categorizes all the emails on its own, into folders such as Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates and more. Also, Gmail with ML algorithms has managed to filter 99.9% of the spam emails successfully.
- Smart replies in Gmail
- Facebook friend suggestion and newsfeed personalization
- Recommendations on Netflix on what to watch next based on viewers’ past watching patterns
- Google maps learn about your everyday work commute and alerts you of traffic slowdowns when it’s time to leave.
- Ride sharing apps like Ola and Uber use AI and ML algorithms to compute the price for every journey taken and minimize the ride time
- Self-driving cars and autonomous vehicles
- In Banking and finance, AI can be used for Credit score checking, detection of fraud and personalized mobile banking experience.
- Recommendations of products on various e-commerce sites based on shopping patterns of the customer
- Smart Assistants (Google Assistant, Alexa, Siri) assist us with a variety of tasks like online shopping, reminders, alarms, booking transportation, playing music etc.
- In the field of healthcare, AI has contributed tremendously with improved cancer screening, robot-assisted-surgeries, discovery of new drugs etc
- Chatbots and voice-to-text converters
- AI in video games to provide a more comprehensive and challenging experience to the gamers.
And the list goes on…!
Are you a beginner who has just started their journey with AI ? Or are you already established in this field? Whatever the case is , give a visit to https://experiments.withgoogle.com/collection/ai .. Explore and play.. Or submit your own experiment. Happy learning!